Senior Web Engineer ( He/She/They)
Proton is a Swiss technology company offering privacy-focused online services including email, VPN and file storage.
A better internet, where privacy is the default, is possible. Building this better internet might seem daunting or even unthinkable, but at Proton, this is what we do every day.
Proton was founded in 2014 by a group of scientists who met at the European Organization for Nuclear Research (CERN). Our first product, Proton Mail, is now the world’s largest encrypted email service. Subsequent Proton products, such as Proton VPN, Proton Calendar, and Proton Drive, give our users full control over how and with whom their data is shared.
Today, Proton makes privacy universally accessible. Journalists from outlets like The Guardian and The New York Times, some of the world’s largest organizations, and people in more than 180 countries have signed up for over 70 million accounts. Our diverse and dynamic team is made up of more than 400 members representing over 40 different nationalities. While we are based in Geneva, Switzerland, we have offices in Zurich, Prague, London, Vilnius, Skopje, Taipei, and many more employees working remotely around the world.
Join one of Europe’s fastest-growing companies to help us solve challenging problems and build new products that will reach hundreds of millions of people. We want to create more than just one of the world’s most impactful tech companies; we want to create a new internet that serves the interests of all people. We need you, your voice, your ideas, and your ambition to make it happen.
Purpose of the role
At Proton, we want to explore new areas to grow. In this role, you will help build a new proton product with a strong foundation. You will design, develop, test and maintain Proton Pass. As a member of a young team, you'll have the opportunity to break new ground and design a new product. You will also collaborate with other web developers to solve complex technical and user-experience challenges. All proton engineering teams with cross-functionally with Product, Engineering and Security teams to build and operate a secure, scale-able and perform-ant ecosystem across our suite of products.
What you will do
- Develop high-quality user experiences on the web.
- Ensure that acceptance criteria and all parts of the technical design are correctly incorporated.
- End-to-end responsible on projects of increasing complexity.
- Take the initiative to solve and identify important problems and coordinating to fix them without being assigned.
- Continuously refactors our source code in service of maintainability, testability, scalability, operability, and/or security.
- Write, co-writes, and reviews technical design documentation.
- Share your area of expertise with fellow engineers.
- Mentor engineers via technical design review and code review.
- Conduct engineering interviews.
You are a top candidate if you have
- 3+ years of experience with React, writing performant and reusable components.
- or 4+ years in 2+ similar frontend libraries / frameworks.
- Proficient in keeping the code modular and loosely coupled.
- Following best practices to ensure better Code Quality (including CI/CD and automated testing).
- Ability to thrive in a dynamic, fast-paced, and collaborative environment.
- A product mindset and focused on offering the best user experience.
- Effectively communicates with a cross-functional audience.
- Experience with breaking down product requirements into architecture design and implementation.
Bonus points if you also have:
- A good understanding of security best practices from an application development standpoint.
- Experience working in a distributed team.
- Experience with or exposure to the DOM API.
- Experience with NodeJS.
- Experience with micro-frontend architecture.
Techs your team and yourself will be working with:
- React, SASS, Webpack, Storybook
- An understanding of React
- An awareness of the most common security issues affecting client side development from the OWASP top ten and how to mitigate them
- Familiarity with Usability, Accessibility and Localisation concerns and solutions
Why should you join Proton?
- Be part of a movement - Proton is not just a product or service but a community-driven movement united by a shared vision of online freedom. Our services are open source, audited, and supported by community contributions. We give back to our community by maintaining core encryption libraries and by supporting other organizations furthering the same goals as us. Proton is free, open source, neutral, independent, and community first, while remaining financially sustainable.
- Work with smart and dedicated people - Our team is diverse, collaborative, and tight-knit with people coming from all walks of life, including many of the world’s top academic institutions and organizations, such as MIT, Harvard, Stanford, Caltech, Cambridge, and ETH.
- Join a strong brand - Our encrypted email service - Proton Mail - has grown to be a staple of online security and privacy. Proton has been featured in multiple popular television and film productions, such as Mr. Robot, Knives Out, Sounds of Metal, and more.
- Grow with us - We’re one of Europe’s fastest-growing startups, doubling in size every year. Our growth gives you limitless career and educational opportunities as well as the opportunity to work side-by-side with many world-leading experts in their fields.
- Have your voice heard - We value your opinion and encourage you to speak up and share your ideas and thoughts. At Proton, no problem is someone else’s problem. We collectively strive to do the right thing and be the undisputed best in the world at everything we do.
- Benefits – these vary by location and type of contract but expect support on your vacation, parental leave, refreshment if working from the office, learning and development opportunities, equity for shared success, flexible working hours and remote work, company events and team building activities.
Proton does not accept unsolicited resumes from any sources other than directly from a candidate. Proton will not pay a fee for any placement resulting from the receipt of an unsolicited offer, even in a situation when the relevant candidate is employed by Proton.
Apply via the original post…