Senior QA Automation Engineer (Drive)
Proton is a Swiss technology company offering privacy-focused online services including email, VPN and file storage.
A better internet, where privacy is the default, is possible. Building this better internet might seem daunting or even unthinkable, but at Proton, this is what we do every day.
Proton was founded in 2014 by a group of scientists who met at the European Organization for Nuclear Research (CERN). Our first product, Proton Mail, is now the world’s largest encrypted email service. Subsequent Proton products, such as Proton VPN, Proton Calendar, and Proton Drive, give our users full control over how and with whom their data is shared.
Today, Proton makes privacy universally accessible. Journalists from outlets like The Guardian and The New York Times, some of the world’s largest organizations, and people in more than 180 countries have signed up for over 70 million accounts. Our diverse and dynamic team is made up of more than 400 members representing over 40 different nationalities. While we are based in Geneva, Switzerland, we have offices in Zurich, Prague, London, Vilnius, Skopje, Taipei, and many more employees working remotely around the world.
Join one of Europe’s fastest-growing companies to help us solve challenging problems and build new products that will reach hundreds of millions of people. We want to create more than just one of the world’s most impactful tech companies; we want to create a new internet that serves the interests of all people. We need you, your voice, your ideas, and your ambition to make it happen.
Purpose of the role
You will be responsible for designing, building, maintaining and evolving advanced feature-testing capabilities for Proton Drive, both automatic and (to a lesser extent) manual, as part of Drive's QA Automation team. Your goal is easy to understand, but hard to master: make Proton Drive software indestructible. Proton Drive offers a uniquely creative space for any Testing Engineer: the nature of our product makes simple comparisons of server-side and client-side data impossible, while the client applications themselves are more complex than less-private alternatives. You will need to have a passion for solving problems creatively, and the drive to see your creative solutions through from design to implementation.
What you will do
- Take the lead on improving testing for our Proton Drive for Windows and Proton Drive for MacOS desktop applications.
- Design, develop, document and maintain test processes, both manual and automatic.
- Collaborate with fellow Drive Test Engineers to create cross-client testing standards and automation (e.g., testing interoperability across multiple operating systems).
- Collaborate with fellow Test Engineers to improve test processes (both manual and automatic) for the Proton Drive backend, independent of any specific client implementation.
- Influence and help improve standards for CI/CD pipelines including test automation, and reporting of test results.
- Experience implementing test automation for Windows and MacOS desktop applications.
- Thorough understanding of the software development life-cycle process.
- Knowledge of quality assurance methodologies, tools, and processes applicable to testing desktop applications.
- Experience working with CI/CD processes and tools (Gitlab preferred).
- Solid understanding of software engineering fundamentals.
- Experience scripting languages such as Python, PowerShell, etc.
Bonus points for:
- Experience with test common automation frameworks, preferably FlaUI.
- Experience with virtualization technology commonly used in test such as HyperV, VirtualBox, etc.
- Familiarity with fundamentals of cryptography and/or common cryptographic technologies and standards such as AES, OpenPGP, etc.
- Experience creating, implementing and maintaining quality standards for a distributed engineering team.
- Experience with agile methodology.
Why should you join Proton?
- Be part of a movement - Proton is not just a product or service but a community-driven movement united by a shared vision of online freedom. Our services are open source, audited, and supported by community contributions. We give back to our community by maintaining core encryption libraries and by supporting other organizations furthering the same goals as us. Proton is free, open source, neutral, independent, and community first, while remaining financially sustainable.
- Work with smart and dedicated people - Our team is diverse, collaborative, and tight-knit with people coming from all walks of life, including many of the world’s top academic institutions and organizations, such as MIT, Harvard, Stanford, Caltech, Cambridge, and ETH.
- Join a strong brand - Our encrypted email service - Proton Mail - has grown to be a staple of online security and privacy. Proton has been featured in multiple popular television and film productions, such as Mr. Robot, Knives Out, Sounds of Metal, and more.
- Grow with us - We’re one of Europe’s fastest-growing startups, doubling in size every year. Our growth gives you limitless career and educational opportunities as well as the opportunity to work side-by-side with many world-leading experts in their fields.
- Have your voice heard - We value your opinion and encourage you to speak up and share your ideas and thoughts. At Proton, no problem is someone else’s problem. We collectively strive to do the right thing and be the undisputed best in the world at everything we do.
- Benefits – these vary by location and type of contract but expect support on your vacation, parental leave, refreshment if working from the office, learning and development opportunities, equity for shared success, flexible working hours and remote work, company events and team building activities.
Proton does not accept unsolicited resumes from any sources other than directly from a candidate. Proton will not pay a fee for any placement resulting from the receipt of an unsolicited offer, even in a situation when the relevant candidate is employed by Proton.
Apply via the original post…