Senior Back-End Engineer (Drive)
Proton is a Swiss technology company offering privacy-focused online services including email, VPN and file storage.
A better internet, where privacy is the default, is possible. Building this better internet might seem daunting or even unthinkable, but at Proton, this is what we do every day.
Proton was founded in 2014 by a group of scientists who met at the European Organization for Nuclear Research (CERN). Our first product, Proton Mail, is now the world’s largest encrypted email service. Subsequent Proton products, such as Proton VPN, Proton Calendar, and Proton Drive, give our users full control over how and with whom their data is shared.
Today, Proton makes privacy universally accessible. Journalists from outlets like The Guardian and The New York Times, some of the world’s largest organizations, and people in more than 180 countries have signed up for over 70 million accounts. Our diverse and dynamic team is made up of more than 400 members representing over 40 different nationalities. While we are based in Geneva, Switzerland, we have offices in Zurich, Prague, London, Vilnius, Skopje, Taipei, and many more employees working remotely around the world.
Join one of Europe’s fastest-growing companies to help us solve challenging problems and build new products that will reach hundreds of millions of people. We want to create more than just one of the world’s most impactful tech companies; we want to create a new internet that serves the interests of all people. We need you, your voice, your ideas, and your ambition to make it happen.
Purpose of the role
You will be responsible for designing, building, maintaining and evolving features of the Proton Drive back-end. Your goals are easy to understand, but hard to master: (1) serve every Proton Drive client quickly, efficiently, and correctly; and (2) ensure the stability and correct functioning of the Proton Drive back-end. You are not an SRE, but you often think like one as you design and build the systems that must be rock-solid at the heart of Proton Drive. Proton Drive offers a uniquely creative space for any Back-End Engineer: the nature of our product makes migrations, mitigations and optimizations significantly more nuanced than in other, less-private systems: we can't inspect any of the data customers store on our systems, and that's by design!
What you will do
- Work closely with a group of Back-End Engineers and Architects to build resilient, massively-scalable solutions for millions of people to rely on.
- Collaborate with teams of client application developers and product management to ensure that the back-end meets critical business and reliability requirements.
- Document back-end capabilities and their proper use so that all Proton Drive clients can implement correctly-functioning solutions.
- Debug and repair vital systems such as the systems responsible for cleaning up file revisions and returning quota to users.
- Experience with PHP-based entry-points to a back-end software stack.
- Experience building scalable solutions. * Experience with profiling methods and tools.
- Solid understanding of SQL (MySql preferred). * Solid understanding of security best practices.
- Solid understanding of HTTP/REST, including both developing and consuming Web-based APIs
- High-level understanding of cryptography concepts such as key exchange and the difference between symmetric and asymmetric encryption.
Bonus points for:
- Operational experience such as SRE or on-call, demonstrating ability to diagnose and troubleshoot complex problems for critical systems.
- Experience with Docker or similar containerization technologies
- Experience with metrics graphing/analysis toolkits such as Grafana and OpenTelemetry
- Experience with Golang
- Experience with OpenAPI specs or other API documentation frameworks.
Why should you join Proton?
- Be part of a movement - Proton is not just a product or service but a community-driven movement united by a shared vision of online freedom. Our services are open source, audited, and supported by community contributions. We give back to our community by maintaining core encryption libraries and by supporting other organizations furthering the same goals as us. Proton is free, open source, neutral, independent, and community first, while remaining financially sustainable.
- Work with smart and dedicated people - Our team is diverse, collaborative, and tight-knit with people coming from all walks of life, including many of the world’s top academic institutions and organizations, such as MIT, Harvard, Stanford, Caltech, Cambridge, and ETH.
- Join a strong brand - Our encrypted email service - Proton Mail - has grown to be a staple of online security and privacy. Proton has been featured in multiple popular television and film productions, such as Mr. Robot, Knives Out, Sounds of Metal, and more.
- Grow with us - We’re one of Europe’s fastest-growing startups, doubling in size every year. Our growth gives you limitless career and educational opportunities as well as the opportunity to work side-by-side with many world-leading experts in their fields.
- Have your voice heard - We value your opinion and encourage you to speak up and share your ideas and thoughts. At Proton, no problem is someone else’s problem. We collectively strive to do the right thing and be the undisputed best in the world at everything we do.
- Benefits – these vary by location and type of contract but expect support on your vacation, parental leave, refreshment if working from the office, learning and development opportunities, equity for shared success, flexible working hours and remote work, company events and team building activities.
Proton does not accept unsolicited resumes from any sources other than directly from a candidate. Proton will not pay a fee for any placement resulting from the receipt of an unsolicited offer, even in a situation when the relevant candidate is employed by Proton.
Apply via the original post…