Senior Back-End Engineer (API)
Proton is a Swiss technology company offering privacy-focused online services including email, VPN and file storage.
A better internet, where privacy is the default, is possible. Building this better internet might seem daunting or even unthinkable, but at Proton, this is what we do every day.
Proton was founded in 2014 by a group of scientists who met at the European Organization for Nuclear Research (CERN). Our first product, Proton Mail, is now the world’s largest encrypted email service. Subsequent Proton products, such as Proton VPN, Proton Calendar, and Proton Drive, give our users full control over how and with whom their data is shared.
Today, Proton makes privacy universally accessible. Journalists from outlets like The Guardian and The New York Times, some of the world’s largest organizations, and people in more than 180 countries have signed up for over 70 million accounts. Our diverse and dynamic team is made up of more than 400 members representing over 40 different nationalities. While we are based in Geneva, Switzerland, we have offices in Zurich, Prague, London, Vilnius, Skopje, Taipei, and many more employees working remotely around the world.
Join one of Europe’s fastest-growing companies to help us solve challenging problems and build new products that will reach hundreds of millions of people. We want to create more than just one of the world’s most impactful tech companies; we want to create a new internet that serves the interests of all people. We need you, your voice, your ideas, and your ambition to make it happen.
Purpose of the role
The Payments team is focused on creating technical implementations that are shared across all Proton products: Proton Mail, Proton Calendar, Proton Drive, and Proton VPN. The reliability of our core codebase is crucial for the consistent and smooth functioning of all our products.
We aim to deliver the best experience for people who care about their security and privacy.
What you will do
- Designing, building, and maintaining large-scale products
- Ensuring that all parts of the technical design are correctly incorporated
- Writing high-quality, tested, and documented code
- Following and improving high engineering standards and best practices
- At least 4 years of experience in designing and building highly scalable systems
- Fluent English language and strong communication skills
- Excellent knowledge of object-oriented programming paradigm (SOLID principles, design patterns)
- Good knowledge of SQL
- Experience in code testing
- Good understanding of web technologies (Rest API, HTTP, HTML, etc.)
- Experience with modern PHP
- Operated as Tech Lead for a minimum of 2 years, with teams ranging in size from 4 to 6 engineers
Bonus points for:
Experience with CI and test automation
Experience with Linux and containers (such as Docker or Kubernetes)
Experience with DevOps practices and implementations
Professional experience with a web framework (Symfony, Spring, ASP.NET, etc.)
Professional experience with statically typed language
Being active in the open-source community
Why should you join Proton?
- Be part of a movement - Proton is not just a product or service but a community-driven movement united by a shared vision of online freedom. Our services are open source, audited, and supported by community contributions. We give back to our community by maintaining core encryption libraries and by supporting other organizations furthering the same goals as us. Proton is free, open source, neutral, independent, and community first, while remaining financially sustainable.
- Work with smart and dedicated people - Our team is diverse, collaborative, and tight-knit with people coming from all walks of life, including many of the world’s top academic institutions and organizations, such as MIT, Harvard, Stanford, Caltech, Cambridge, and ETH.
- Join a strong brand - Our encrypted email service - Proton Mail - has grown to be a staple of online security and privacy. Proton has been featured in multiple popular television and film productions, such as Mr. Robot, Knives Out, Sounds of Metal, and more.
- Grow with us - We’re one of Europe’s fastest-growing startups, doubling in size every year. Our growth gives you limitless career and educational opportunities as well as the opportunity to work side-by-side with many world-leading experts in their fields.
- Have your voice heard - We value your opinion and encourage you to speak up and share your ideas and thoughts. At Proton, no problem is someone else’s problem. We collectively strive to do the right thing and be the undisputed best in the world at everything we do.
- Benefits – these vary by location and type of contract but expect support on your vacation, parental leave, refreshment if working from the office, learning and development opportunities, equity for shared success, flexible working hours and remote work, company events and team building activities.
Proton does not accept unsolicited resumes from any sources other than directly from a candidate. Proton will not pay a fee for any placement resulting from the receipt of an unsolicited offer, even in a situation when the relevant candidate is employed by Proton.
Apply via the original post…
To help with your application, here's a sample software developer cover letter.