Front-End Engineer (Growth Engineering)
Proton is a Swiss technology company offering privacy-focused online services including email, VPN and file storage.
A better internet, where privacy is the default, is possible. Building this better internet might seem daunting or even unthinkable, but at Proton, this is what we do every day.
Proton was founded in 2014 by a group of scientists who met at the European Organization for Nuclear Research (CERN). Our first product, Proton Mail, is now the world’s largest encrypted email service. Subsequent Proton products, such as Proton VPN, Proton Calendar, and Proton Drive, give our users full control over how and with whom their data is shared.
Today, Proton makes privacy universally accessible. Journalists from outlets like The Guardian and The New York Times, some of the world’s largest organizations, and people in more than 180 countries have signed up for over 70 million accounts. Our diverse and dynamic team is made up of more than 400 members representing over 40 different nationalities. While we are based in Geneva, Switzerland, we have offices in Zurich, Prague, London, Vilnius, Skopje, Taipei, and many more employees working remotely around the world.
Join one of Europe’s fastest-growing companies to help us solve challenging problems and build new products that will reach hundreds of millions of people. We want to create more than just one of the world’s most impactful tech companies; we want to create a new internet that serves the interests of all people. We need you, your voice, your ideas, and your ambition to make it happen.
Purpose of the role
As a member of the Growth Engineering team, you’ll be responsible for bringing millions of new customers to our product ecosystem: Proton Mail, Proton Calendar, Proton Drive, and Proton VPN. You'll work closely with a small, dedicated team to build systems for acquisition, onboarding, activation, and engagement while creating great user experiences at scale. You’ll help design experiments to discover and validate customer hypotheses, and develop fast, reliable services to drive engagement and keep our existing customers happy. As we scale, you’ll have the opportunity to grow into a technical lead role, responsible for a team of engineers and the entire lifecycle of new projects.
What you will do
- Join an existing team within Growth Engineering, working closely with teammates in order to design, build, test, and optimize our websites and web properties.
- Develop high-quality customer experiences on the web.
- Write readable, maintainable, tested, and well-documented code.
- Ensure that acceptance criteria and all parts of the technical design are correctly incorporated.
- Follow and promote engineering best practices.
- Take part in team activities, such as sprint ceremonies, code reviews, and pair programming.
- Share your unique knowledge and skills with the rest of the team.
- 3+ years of experience using React.
- Professional experience building responsive websites.
- Experience using CSS frameworks such as Tailwind CSS.
- Proven proficiency with TypeScript.
- Experience using RESTful APIs.
- You test your own code using automated tests, writing unit tests at a minimum (e.g. using Jest, Chai, Mocha).
- Knowledge of what makes a website performant (e.g. caching, server-side rendering).
- You are product-minded and committed to building the best user experience.
- Ability to thrive in a dynamic, fast-paced, and collaborative environment.
Bonus points for:
- Experience using Astro.
- Experience working with headless CMS.
- Knowledge of web accessibility best practices.
- Experience using DevOps processes and practices (including CI/CD).
- Experience working in a distributed team.
Why should you join Proton?
- Be part of a movement - Proton is not just a product or service but a community-driven movement united by a shared vision of online freedom. Our services are open source, audited, and supported by community contributions. We give back to our community by maintaining core encryption libraries and by supporting other organizations furthering the same goals as us. Proton is free, open source, neutral, independent, and community first, while remaining financially sustainable.
- Work with smart and dedicated people - Our team is diverse, collaborative, and tight-knit with people coming from all walks of life, including many of the world’s top academic institutions and organizations, such as MIT, Harvard, Stanford, Caltech, Cambridge, and ETH.
- Join a strong brand - Our encrypted email service - Proton Mail - has grown to be a staple of online security and privacy. Proton has been featured in multiple popular television and film productions, such as Mr. Robot, Knives Out, Sounds of Metal, and more.
- Grow with us - We’re one of Europe’s fastest-growing startups, doubling in size every year. Our growth gives you limitless career and educational opportunities as well as the opportunity to work side-by-side with many world-leading experts in their fields.
- Have your voice heard - We value your opinion and encourage you to speak up and share your ideas and thoughts. At Proton, no problem is someone else’s problem. We collectively strive to do the right thing and be the undisputed best in the world at everything we do.
- Benefits – these vary by location and type of contract but expect support on your vacation, parental leave, refreshment if working from the office, learning and development opportunities, equity for shared success, flexible working hours and hybrid model, company events and team building activities.
Proton does not accept unsolicited resumes from any sources other than directly from a candidate. Proton will not pay a fee for any placement resulting from the receipt of an unsolicited offer, even in a situation when the relevant candidate is employed by Proton.
Apply via the original post…
To help with your application, here's a sample web developer cover letter.