Director Of Marketing
Proton is a Swiss technology company offering privacy-focused online services including email, VPN and file storage.
A better internet, where privacy is the default, is possible. Building this better internet might seem daunting or even unthinkable, but at Proton, this is what we do every day.
Proton was founded in 2014 by a group of scientists who met at the European Organization for Nuclear Research (CERN). Our first product, Proton Mail, is now the world’s largest encrypted email service. Subsequent Proton products, such as Proton VPN, Proton Calendar, and Proton Drive, give our users full control over how and with whom their data is shared.
Today, Proton makes privacy universally accessible. Journalists from outlets like The Guardian and The New York Times, some of the world’s largest organizations, and people in more than 180 countries have signed up for over 70 million accounts. Our diverse and dynamic team is made up of more than 400 members representing over 40 different nationalities. While we are based in Geneva, Switzerland, we have offices in Zurich, Prague, London, Vilnius, Skopje, Taipei, and many more employees working remotely around the world.
Join one of Europe’s fastest-growing companies to help us solve challenging problems and build new products that will reach hundreds of millions of people. We want to create more than just one of the world’s most impactful tech companies; we want to create a new internet that serves the interests of all people. We need you, your voice, your ideas, and your ambition to make it happen.
Purpose of the role
The Director of Marketing will play an instrumental role in redefining our brand identity and strategy. You’ll be our brand advocate, planning and executing global campaigns with the goal of growing our brand awareness and share of voice.This role reports directly to the CEO, and the precise responsibilities can be adapted based on your background and experience.If you’re a self starter & results-driven marketer, and you thrive in a fast-paced environment, this is a great opportunity to play a pivotal role in a fast-growing company. You will have a concrete impact on the future of the business as a whole.
What you will do
- Establish, evolve and implement global brand strategy, delivering against company vision, and business goals
- Provide leadership and coordination for all initiatives to target audiences across our brand portfolio, including recommended plan optimizations to maximize impact
- Implement brand control processes, guidelines, playbooks, audits etc. to ensure all user touchpoints are on brand. Setup monitoring of brand health metrics and campaign measurement tools and processes
- Lead Proton’s brand and social media team to ensure that we best serve the world and are in tune with the Proton community
- Help craft content strategy to ensure that we get the best ROI from our content efforts and deliver the most value to users
- Build and run brand campaigns to enhance paid and organic user acquisition
- You will be a key stakeholder in discussions around marketing and growth strategy for Proton’s various products and services.
- Define the short, medium and long term marketing strategy and leverage tools & data to increase marketing ROI
10+ years of marketing experience preferably with recent exposure to a consumer-facing tech company
Strong competence in brand, community and brand are two pillars of Proton’s past and future success
Comfortable with a broad spectrum of digital marketing techniques (including SEO, partnerships, conversion rate optimization, etc), this role will be at the intersection of many of these disciplines
Demonstrated experience developing and executing insight-driven integrated marketing campaigns that drove quantitative results at global levels
Proven experience building and leading teams, including experience directly managing teams of 10+ individuals. You will be adept at both developing their careers and performance management
Independent, self-motivated, and proactive with strong attention to detail and excellent written and spoken English
Outside of your direct team, demonstrate leadership by influence, motivating and inspiring others toward achieving your vision
Be hands on when needed, Proton’s culture is not corporate, and we expect people to lead from the front
Demonstrate analytical and data driven skills, we welcome candidates with scientific or engineering backgrounds who now work in marketing or growth
Fluent in English, being an effective writer and storyteller
Cost-efficient mindset, Proton is a bootstrapped startup, we’re creative and efficient
Possess self-drive and be execution focused
Why should you join Proton?
- Be part of a movement - Proton is not just a product or service but a community-driven movement united by a shared vision of online freedom. Our services are open source, audited, and supported by community contributions. We give back to our community by maintaining core encryption libraries and by supporting other organizations furthering the same goals as us. Proton is free, open source, neutral, independent, and community first, while remaining financially sustainable.
- Work with smart and dedicated people - Our team is diverse, collaborative, and tight-knit with people coming from all walks of life, including many of the world’s top academic institutions and organizations, such as MIT, Harvard, Stanford, Caltech, Cambridge, and ETH.
- Join a strong brand - Our encrypted email service - Proton Mail - has grown to be a staple of online security and privacy. Proton has been featured in multiple popular television and film productions, such as Mr. Robot, Knives Out, Sounds of Metal, and more.
- Grow with us - We’re one of Europe’s fastest-growing startups, doubling in size every year. Our growth gives you limitless career and educational opportunities as well as the opportunity to work side-by-side with many world-leading experts in their fields.
- Have your voice heard - We value your opinion and encourage you to speak up and share your ideas and thoughts. At Proton, no problem is someone else’s problem. We collectively strive to do the right thing and be the undisputed best in the world at everything we do.
- Benefits – these vary by location and type of contract but expect support on your vacation, parental leave, refreshment if working from the office, learning and development opportunities, equity for shared success, flexible working hours and remote work, company events and team building activities.
Proton does not accept unsolicited resumes from any sources other than directly from a candidate. Proton will not pay a fee for any placement resulting from the receipt of an unsolicited offer, even in a situation when the relevant candidate is employed by Proton.
Apply via the original post…
To help with your application, here's a sample marketing specialist cover letter.